Day 1 | Sydney to Port Macquarie

In case you didn’t believe me when I said I was moving home (which, let’s face it, I don’t really blame you if you didn’t!) here I am to prove you wrong! I am writing my first #roadtrip post from my motel in Port Macquarie, a solid 386km away from Sydney (with only 2218km to go until Cairns…).

It was a pretty early start this morning – I woke up around 6:30am, very excited to get on the road and start my little adventure. I said my final goodbyes to my cousin and her lovely little family and got myself moving.

My first stop of the day – and of the entire trip woohoo! – was the Central Coast. It took me just over an hour and a half to arrive and I’d left Renee’s house early so my schedule was looking good. My original plan had been to spend a bit of time there but once I’d gotten out of the car and taken a couple of snaps of the scenery I realised I wasn’t ready for lunch yet and still had plenty of energy so I hopped back into Jessie Jazz and started driving to my next destination.

It took me an hour to arrive at the Memorial Walk in Newcastle. I’d been keen to have a quick look at it after reading about the stunning panoramic ocean and city views on Trip Advisor. It definitely didn’t disappoint! The memorial itself is very touching and the views are unbelievable. Looking back, I wish I would’ve done the whole walk! I’m sure there will be more opportunities for me to do some stunning coastal walks over my trip through, so I’m not too disappointed!

Once I was finished taking in the sights I drove to the Kotara Westfield for some lunch and a stretch of my legs. I was surprised when I realised that I’d spent two hours wandering through the shopping centre – it was a really nice one with some stores I’d never heard of! I managed to find a copy of a book I’d been wanting to read for a while as well, so I’m particularly excited to tuck myself into bed with it tonight.

I left Newcastle around 2:30pm and started the three hour drive to my motel in Port Macquarie. I was tossing up whether or not to stop at Forster but in the end decided against it as it was my first day of driving and I wanted to get to my motel at a reasonable time. In the end I was glad I skipped Forster because it was nearly 5:30pm by the time I reached my motel, and very dark!

The most exciting part of the day had to be the FREE UPGRADE I got when I arrived at the motel! I was the only person who had booked into a budget room on the lower floor so the kind lady moved me up a floor into a balcony room! Yay, balconies! (I’ve got two beds now as well, y’know, in case I want to push them together for a mega-king-bed. It could happen.)

If all this excitement wasn’t enough, I had a delicious satay noodle dish delivered to me from Wok Mania for dinner – so satisfied. Now, I must work out what sights to see tomorrow and get some rest with that book I mentioned earlier… After taking in the fact that I have ACTUALLY left Sydney, because I haven’t really done that yet…